Thursday, July 24, 2014

KEEP YOUR GOALS TO YOURSELF

Goal or Wish?



I mentioned here before that I'm practicing a unique principle for setting goals... keeping my goals to myself. Sounds opposite from conventional wisdom, right? Shouldn't I tell someone so they can keep me accountable?


As Derek Silvers says,

"Repeated psychology tests have proven that telling someone your goal makes it less likely to happen. Any time you have a goal, there are some steps that need to be done, some work that needs to be done in order to achieve it. Ideally, you would not be satisfied until you had actually done the work. But when you tell someone your goal and they acknowledge it, psychologists have found that it's called a 'social reality.' The mind is kind of tricked into feeling that it's already done. And then, because you felt that satisfaction, you're less motivated to do the actual hard work necessary." 


Oh boy, am I guilty of this! That's why I'm determined to practice keeping my mouth shut until I have some progress under way. So if I'm pretty secretive around here on the blog... well, now you know why. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment